The Point-in-Time (PIT) count is a count of sheltered and unsheltered homeless persons on a single night in January. HUD requires that Continuums of Care conduct an annual count of homeless persons who are sheltered in emergency shelter and transitional housing on a single night. Continuums of Care also must conduct a count of unsheltered homeless persons every other year (odd numbered years). Each count is planned, coordinated, and carried out locally. The Housing Inventory Count (HIC) is a point-in-time inventory of provider programs within a Continuum of Care that provide beds and units dedicated to serve persons who are homeless, categorized by five Program Types: Emergency Shelter; Transitional Housing; Rapid Re-housing; Safe Haven; and Permanent Supportive Housing. Because the TX BoS CoC has no Safe Havens, we report only 4 Program Types.
PIT data can provide insight into a community’s homeless population and service gaps. It provides a “snap shot” of what homelessness looks like on a single night in your community.
Because of the TX BoS CoC’s large geography, we depend on communities to volunteer to perform a PIT Count to collect data. Different communities choose to participate each year, so there may be different communities in each year’s data set. We can’t provide data on communities who don’t perform a count. If you don’t see your community listed, please contact us using the form at the bottom of the page.
2018 Training Materials
- 2018 PIT Coordinator Manual
- 2018 PIT Counting Us Instructions and Roles
- 2018 PIT Volunteer Interviewing Guide
- 2018 PIT Volunteer Contact Information
- 2018 PIT Volunteer Hour Tracker
- 2018 PIT Flyer Final
- 2018 PIT Coordinator PPT Training
- 2018 PIT Coordinator Training – Recording
- 2018 PIT Survey (Spanish)
- How To: Counting Us App Training
- Un-sheltered Count Volunteer Training PPT
- Un-sheltered Count Volunteer Training Recording
- Day of Count Cheat Sheet
2017 Training Materials
- Point-In-Time Coordinator Manual
- Volunteer Information Handout and Script
- 2017 PIT Survey (English)
- PIT Mobile App Instructions
- PIT Data Entry Directions
- 2017 Point-In-Time Q & A and Survey Review